Getting Started with Flying Start to Literacy
- Find out the students’ current reading skills and behaviors using the Record of Reading Behaviors assessment tool.
- Group students with similar learning needs (4 to 6 students in a group is ideal for most).
- Select a pair of books at the appropriate reading level for the students in the group, taking into account the students’ learning needs and interests.
- Decide which book you will teach first.
- Conduct the reading lesson with the students (supportive Lesson Plans are provided for each pair
- During the lesson, assess students’ reading informally. The Lesson Plans provide assessment points.
- Have the students complete activities related to the specific book (see Lesson Plans for an extensive list of possible activities).
- Teach the second book in the same way.
- Have students work through the “talking about the pair” activities to synthesise the ideas about the topic presented in each book.
- Repeat with other books from the level or move on to a more challenging level according to