Connected texts to reinforce learning
- 292 Student Books (pairs of books) organized into 9 Developmental Reading Stages.
- Paired books address the same concepts, vocabulary, and high-frequency words in different text types and sentence structures.
- High-frequency words are gradually and systematically introduced and reused.
- There is a high rate of repetition of high-frequency words and a low ratio of unfamiliar words.
- There is a balance of illustrated narrative and photographic informational books.
- There is a wide range of text types: narratives, recounts, procedures, explanations, and reports.
Provide direct reading support
- Unique to the Early Emergent Stage, there is one Vocabulary Starter for each pair of books (18 in total).
- Each Vocabulary Starter introduces the written form of key vocabulary through unambiguous, labeled photographs.
- Vocabulary Starters can be read as a book, or displayed as a word bank to support beginning readers and writers.
- On the back of the photographs are suggestions for building oral, reading, and writing vocabulary, as well as reading and writing activities for each book.
Full color, sturdy laminated cards with seven folding panels
Activities for developing oral, reading, and writing vocabulary on reverse side of cards
Easy-to-use Lesson Plans for practical and systematic instruction
- 146 Lesson Plans: one for each pair of books.
- There are Before, During, and After Reading Activities for each book, plus a synthesizing activity focusing on the key concept of both books.
- Each Lesson Plan can be split into four 30-minute instructional sessions and one review session.
- Each Lesson Plan integrates oral language, comprehension, phonemic awareness, phonics, vocabulary development, fluency, and writing.
- Each Lesson Plan includes ongoing assessment and follow-up activities.
Full color, sturdy laminated cards with six folding panels (3 panels per side)
Economical one-color versions of 146 of the Student Books (one title from each pair of books) provide
- Additional reading and writing activities for home.
- A great opportunity for parental involvement.
- Opportunities for repetitive reading to build fluency.
Sample activities in Take-Home Books
See Shared Reading for details about Lift Off to Literacy, the shared reading component of Flying Start to Literacy.