Student Books for Small Group Work and Guided Reading
Flying Start to Literacy supports the systematic development of reading strategies and skills in young students. It begins with oral language, then builds vocabulary, increases phonemic awareness, builds letter-sound relationships, develops print knowledge, and promotes comprehension.
The Flying Start to Literacy program contains:
- 304 Student Books (152 paired texts) organized into 9 Developmental Reading Stages
- 152 Lesson Plans on sturdy laminated cards (1 per pair of titles)
- 140 Take-Home Books, (1 per pair of books; Levels A-P)
- 24 Vocabulary Starters in the Early Emergent Stage only
- Digital Activities unique to Early Emergent Reading Stage
- At the Advanced Fluent Stages, each set of Paired Texts is augmented with an additional Perspectives volume, and each of these is supported with its own Lesson Plan.
For information about Flying Start’s shared reading component, Lift Off to Literacy, click on the black tab at the top of this page.
An overview of the reading strategies for each book by stage can be seen on the Scope and Sequence Charts. Reading Across the Curriculum Charts detail text features and content vocabulary for each title. These can be found under the Teacher Support Materials tab.
Click Here for Teacher Support Materials